Did you see what Apple did this year? A simple “Friday” to tease you with the greatness to come on Thanksgiving in a sleek white box.
While we do not promise you that these Cyber Monday tips will get you any closer to hanging out with the design engineers at Apple Park in Palo Alto; it is as close as you can get to the best in tech products while remaining in the comfort of your living room.
Malls Are So Yesterday
Long lanes of shops and outposts of fast-food blend into a suburban landscape complete with elevator music. If you enjoy standing outside the mall in a three-point stance waiting for pre-dawn savings, then you might want to visit.
However, if a combination of the pandemic and Thanksgiving bliss has you shopping from home, Cyber Monday is made for you.
Cyber Monday established in 2005 when the Internet was still a teenager is traditionally the Monday following the Thanksgiving holiday.
This year, Cyber Monday falls on 11/30/20.
Just like the story of the turkey feast, Cyber Monday had a beginning when retailers realized they can devote a whole day to the large amount of online shopping that took place on the first workday after Thanksgiving.
Cyber Monday is profitable with an estimated $9.4 billion in sales in 2019 meaning Americans and their credit cards were busy.
5 techie survival tips:
- Plan Your Shopping Early- Focus is the name of the game. Plan and research your purchases in advance, so a massive discount on video games will be less enticing as an impulse buy. Have a shopping list and stick to it.
- Search for Promotions- Cyber Monday is such a big deal that special sites are setup for promotions. Comparison-shopping and setting alerts will be useful as you navigate thousands of tech deals.
- Go Mobile- Mobile apps empower you to make quick comparisons on the fly.
- Check Timing- Just like in life, timing is everything in Cyber Monday. Historically, the steepest discounts are given out early. Check the rules of the site if there are any time limits or restrictions on buying.
- Beware of Hidden Costs- In those seductive Cyber Monday deals, hidden costs may be lurking such as extravagant shipping costs, unusual taxes, or other taxes that may ruin your savings bliss.
These tips will make you successful at celebrating Cyber Monday with significant savings. A caveat is not to shop during work and make your boss mad by wasting work time and resources to browse iPads. Even such items of design perfection can wait for your secure internet connection at home. A happy boss means a steady paycheck to fund those online bargains for many Thanksgivings to come. Or at least until Amazon Prime Day.
Happy Cyber Monday shopping!