HOME ›

BLOGS ›

4 Reasons Enterprise Automation Fails

enterprise-automation

What are the common obstacles enterprise companies face in scaling automation?

These days, digital agility has evolved from a Silicon Valley buzzword to a requirement for doing competitive business. For true digital agility to work, a company must scale an initial automation pilot program beyond single departments to the whole enterprise. 

For automation to be effective, it must transform internal operations and remain responsive to external competitive pressures, a difficult dance of flexibility and performance to scale operations. 

Research has shown the shortcomings of enterprise companies in transformational operations. In fact, only 9% of enterprise executives rated their company’s automation efforts as optimal. 

Why? What are the obstacles to successful enterprise-level automation? And can the right tech solution help?

Obstacles To Enterprise Automation 

  1. Poor employees buy-in 

For most companies, automation requires education prior to adoption. While 90% of employees report believing that automation makes their jobs easier, the remaining 10% know little about automation. The problem occurs in that successful automation requires each user to have a deep understanding of department processes subject to automation. Companywide scaling is only possible at the level that each employee and department buys into the process.

  • Depending on legacy technology

Research has shown that a reliance on legacy systems is the second leading reason for companies failing to scale. An investment in technology has an expiration date. A legacy technology that slows down the speed of operations or fails to integrate and communicate with other systems is a liability. The introduction of innovative tech solutions such as the Professional Document Analyzer (PDA) promotes collaboration between departments and reduces manual errors, missed handoffs, and wasted time. 

  • No plan for automation

Another obstacle to scalable growth is a lack of proper planning. Especially, for enterprise-level companies where operations and profits are at a larger scale, planning is key. A proper implementation plan, growth timeline, forecasted ROI, and clear performance metrics tailored to company goals is a recipe for successful automation.

  • Lack of consideration for organization size

When it comes to tech solutions, one size does not fit all. Research has found that smaller companies have a competitive advantage in an automation strategy compared to enterprise-level companies. 

Why does that happen? Small companies have fewer employees and decision-makers fostering more cross-company involvement in buying, implementation, and scaling processes. 

How can enterprise-level companies learn from small scale operations? Enterprise-level companies need to be more thoughtful with their planning and organization, better with employee education and communication, and more efficient at choosing the right tech solution to scale. 

An
Enterprise Tech Solution 

A tech solution like the PDA is flexible enough to accommodate the diverse needs in planning and implementation for a large-scale operation. The power and customization of the PDA capabilities deliver consistent performance across silos and automates redundant processes that slow down the workflow. Collaboration is easier than ever enterprise-wide.

While it is true that enterprise-level companies have a lot to learn when it comes to successful automation, having the right tech solution in the scaling process can help. 

Post This Article

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

Related Articles